Sunday, March 10, 2013

Introduction

Howdy folks.

I've always been a lover of pinball games. I'd say a "fan" but these days, a "fan" can imply that I'm a total walking pinball machine encyclopedia who knows everything there is to know about these mechanical wonders, goes to tournaments regularly, has an extensive pinball machine collection filling all rooms of my house, etc., etc. I neither have the money, the know-how to maintain, nor the space to own a real commercial-grade pinball machine. So for years I've had to spend quarters to play them, or play electronic simulations of machines on home video game consoles and computers (many of them are superb). It wasn't until some years ago, I spotted a scaled down home pinball machine at a local Best Buy. It was themed to the then-new theatrical release of Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest. I was intrigued, and naturally, started to play. I immediately acknowledged its shortcomings, but also noticed how impressively designed it was, especially for what is essentially a toy. I don't quite remember the actual price tag but I figure it was around $299. Not bad, but I was pretty broke. Owning something like that was but a dream to not likely come true.



For the longest time I longed to have my very own pinball machine. Though due to the cost constraints, as well as space, I kept thinking about that little Pirates machine I saw back then at Best Buy. After a little research I found they were made by a company (now defunct) called Zizzle, a toy company who also held the license to produce many other Pirates toys. I also learned their pinball machines didn't sell very well and quickly were sold at reduced prices. Other models were offered, including a Marvel Comics themed version, a refreshed version for the next Pirates movie that followed (At World's End), as well as a planned but ultimately scrapped Atari themed version.

More research yielded some interesting information on their construction, quality, and flaws. Many people hate them. Others love them. Others enjoy them for what they are, a small cheap alternative to a real pinball machine. Also, after discovering how a few resourceful folks began to modify their machines to their liking, fixing things here and there to make it more playable, I was immediately inspired. I saved up some dough and set on a mission to get one. Finally scored one of these babies on Craigslist for $200 in good shape.

Not being one to be content to simply keep the machine as it left the factory, I simply had to do some modifications. Out of the box, I'll agree with most people who slam the machine with negative reviews, it's barely playable. Allow me to describe the most predominant issues these machines had that possibly ultimately killed what may have been a very successful product, as well as briefly describe what I did to fix these issues.

WEAK AND UNRESPONSIVE FLIPPERS:

This is perhaps the most egregious part of these machines. I found that you had to be very deliberate when pushing the buttons to get the flippers to go when you want them to, otherwise, they either don't respond, or are slow and weak. Most have blamed the relatively low voltage solenoids (12V). But after some testing I later discovered that the solenoids powering the flippers are in fact powerful enough to effectively move the ball around the small play field. What was seriously impacting their strength and sensitivity was the horrendous stock buttons that activates the flippers. They look like full-size arcade buttons but inside is actually a tiny and very unreliable momentary switch. Replacing these with actual arcade buttons made a world of difference. The flippers react instantly as they should, and the ball moves much faster across the play field.

CONSTANTLY DRAINING BALLS:

This part is puzzling, as this is technically geared at younger kids who are not pinball pros. It is one hard game to play. Take into account that despite the ball being smaller than a regulation pin ball, the space between the flippers is ridiculously wide. Adding a ball-save bumper in the right spot between the flippers levels the playing field (no pun intended).

Adding insult to injury, the out lanes (the lanes located on the far sides of the bottom of the machine, causing you to lose a ball) are also far too wide open. Adding a simple bumper to help divert the ball, while still allowing it to fall freely on either side, helped tremendously.

SPARSE PLAY FIELD:

This is a mostly cosmetic issue. This machine could have benefited from just a little more decor. Some more lighting and miscellaneous decals would have jazzed up the design. Subsequent models following this one addressed this issue. I took it upon myself to sculpt some items, design and add a few decals, etc. As of this writing I've yet to add any additional lighting.

On to the mods...

26 comments:

  1. Cool mods!
    Where can I find the flipper buttons in DealeXtreme?
    I can't find them after scrutinizing their website . Thanks!
    Regards,
    W.H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got my replacement flippers from Deal Extreme. I think I found them on the site by looking up arcade button. Question: How do you remove the original flipper buttons? I can't figure it out. There's no screws or nuts holding the button in place. I'm afraid to pry on the plate on the exterior cabinet.
    Thank for the tips.
    Gern

    ReplyDelete
  3. The screws are inside the cabinet. You'll have to remove both the bottom panel as well as the top plexiglass. Should be one tiny black screw inside, and another under the plexiglass (two for each button). Once you got the button plates off you won't need the screws again as the replacement buttons you got will hold them in place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! love your machine!!! I just bought one of these and was wondering how I could get the wood design on your game. Did you design it yourself? Also, how did you wire the blue light strip in the machine? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes it's all original from various found images online, heavily adjusted and combined. As for the blue strip, it's on its own power cord. It's a light strip from Ikea. So the pinball machines, and the lights are on separate plugs. Not sexy, but it works, and it was way easier than trying to figure out the wiring. Also, I'd rather have the power supply just power the machine itself and not be taxed with powering other electronics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks TONS for blogging all these mods I followed, they helped lots!
    have a few back too:
    a) the original flipper button springs are lighter than the stock flipper solenoid springs and are a good fit, I got more forward power and they're much quieter too.
    b) flipping the bushings for the flipper posts (in from the top) with the plastic washers on top will raise the flippers about 1 mm higher off the playfield, they still reach to the plunger ends just fine.
    c) with 1-3/8" square oak blocks 6" long and T-nuts I made the legs an inch taller and put in furniture glide leg levellers for a 1-3/4" total height increase, levelling and PF angle adjustment now a breeze.
    d) partial disassembly of bumper-cap cluster to install fast-slow blinking color changing LED's in them, and yellow LED's under the 3 rollthrough dividers just above the bumper-cap cluster. white LED's under the slingshots and the 2 small islands above them counters the 12" blue LED strips nicely for some more and better lighting in the lower PF.. and next..
    e) cook the heck outta the ball in a pair of tongs over a gas stove burner until it becomes a dark black cannonball, then polish and wax, lol omg. more often harder to see, judge shots, and looks especially great on the ramps and the catwalk! it'll add back some challenge and fits the theme.

    best kind of thanks that I know how to give, more ideas and encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you repost the photos. Maybe you got inundated. But, you helped a lot of people. You sure helped me with my machine and I can't thank you enough. Please reconsider.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I cannot find the flipper buttons at Deal Extreme website that you referenced. Do you know what
    they are called or their part number? Thanks

    GVT

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am trying to replace the flipper mechanism on our Dead Man's chest home pinball machine because they are not powerful enough to get the ball to the top of the machine. I looked at your DX website but
    cannot find them. Do you know what they are called or a part number?

    ReplyDelete
  10. The solenoids are plenty powerful enough to get the ball up any of the ramps. As I explained in the other posts, the fault lies in the useless buttons the machine came with, which make terribly unreliable electrical contact, but luckily are easily replaceable with better switches. These are the ones I used but as of this writing they are sold out http://www.dx.com/p/repair-parts-replacement-obsf-button-for-arcade-machine-color-assorted-37487#.VdUzF0unAW8

    You also don't have to get the exact ones I got. Google around and you'll find countless places for arcade buttons that will work just as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I enjoyed reading your posted info and images you provide on your mod. I too just bought a Zizzle POTC and wish to mod it a little. Would you be willing to share your shipboard wood images you made for the Pinball inner walls? I think that was a great idea and wanna do something like that. Please let me know either way.

    Great Job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I got one of these today used and the toggle that pushes the ball back to the plunger is broken inside the little box. The spring broke off a piece of plastic that makes it shuttle the ball. Any help please txt me 724-454-2297

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What you experienced is most likely the tiny delicate tab that the spring is attached to simply snapped off, and is extremely common and has happened (or will happen) to all who own these. Luckily it's an easy fix. Simply drill a tiny hole where the broken off tab used to be, and put in a tiny screw in its place. Then attach the spring to the screw just as it was with the tab before it broke off. Good luck.

      Delete
  13. I cannot find any information about the volume knob issue. I cannot turn the volume of. The minimal sound is still to loud. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Got a chance to buy a used game for $100 but has no legs. Is it possible to still find replacement legs?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic post, thanks for sharing. From your youth you can still hear the bells ringing, see the lights flashing and remember the excitement of achieving the highest score on the pinball machines at the arcade.Ghostbusters mods

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow Nice post, thanks for sharing. If your idea of fun is to play pinball on a weekend night with your friends, you've probably thought that it would be fun to have one in your own home. Imagine having one or several of these light-up machines ready for you to play whenever you want to! Your place could become the gathering place for friends and family.Best Pinball Toppers

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just got mine today - Silly question higher legs in front or back - makes sense the longer legs on the back of the machine - but it a very steep angle for the ball to travel up the ramps - ps love the blog

    ReplyDelete
  18. DEAD MACHINE?
    Hello, I've had one of these in my basement for quite some time. Haven't used it in over a year. Cleaning things out, we decided to move it. The power supply lights up green, but the machine has no power when you turn it on. Any suggestions?

    Thanks
    Vince

    ReplyDelete
  19. I recently was gifted an old pirates of the Caribbean zizzle pinball machine. However, everytime the ball hits one of the "slingshots" above the flappers it resets the machine. Anyone have this issue before?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have a Zizzle Pirates of the Caribbean pinball machine we bought new for our daughter and son-in-law many years ago. The ball return is not working. We removed the top and bottom covers to see what the problem is and found these white plastic pieces and a small spring. How do I fix this? Please understand I am a 60something grandmother. The grandkids would greatly enjoy playing pinball. Any helpful suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was always a matter of time before that broke. It's a very small tab on the white plastic piece that attaches the spring to the plunger that snapped off. Very simple fix. I've been meaning to write a post about this very common issue but never found the time. Simply locate the location where the tab broke off (it's very tiny), drill a tiny hole and place a tiny screw in its place. Then hook the end of the spring to the screw. If the screw is well secured, it should pretty much hold forever. Good luck!

      Delete
  21. Thank you. I may have more questions, so I will keep you posted. I appreciate all your help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could you attach some pictures to give me a rough idea what pieces I need to drill and add the screw onto? Also, I have no idea how these were originally placed, and have no idea how to put them back in place. As previously stated, they were loose inside the sealed casing when I opened it all up. (Side note: I was thrilled to see that my son in law, daughter and their children did not mess up the whole works with food or spilled sodas. So other than a good dusting from the compressor this should be good as new once it is fixed and back together.) Hubby has it in his head to take the whole thing to the dump. The thought just hurts me to think of it. Please help. Thank you. twfnatic@gmail.com

      Delete
  22. Hi, I came upon the page while searching for more info on a small 'Pirates of the Caribbean' pinball machine. It was for sale for 80 euro (about 91 dollar), that seemed quite cheap to me. This page helped me to get more information about the pinball machine and what to expect. Turns out I was lucky to be the first one to respond to the advertisement on the online marketplace. It had some issues the seller told me: the left flipper sometimes stays shortly in the 'up' position and both slingshots in the lower part of the field sometimes keep slinging even when the ball already left. I will check and hopefully fix all this later on. I have owned several full size pinball machines but sold them all a well long time ago. I wanted a pinball machine again, but we don't really have space for a full size one. I saw the Pirates of the Caribbean - At Worlds End and bought it for the children (and myself).

    ReplyDelete
  23. Every time the ball hits the pop bumpers the game resets. The lcd screen goes black for a second and then the game boots up like I just turned it on. Anyone know the cause of this? Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments and suggestions, but please, keep them informative, honest and courteous. Anything deemed inappropriate will be promptly removed.